Friday, October 26, 2007

Darjeeling doody

I recently saw Wes Anderson's latest film, Darjeeling Limited, with two friends, who shan't be named. Anywho, as i do for most Wes movies, i loathed this piece of trash. Yet with the new cinematic eye that i am developing in Art of Film, i have been able to put into words why i despise anything that comes out of Mr. Anderson's putrid cameras.

It is his direction

Mr. Anderson has a tendency to make arbitrary mistakes with camera movements on purpose. This is a technique that i believe he thinks will allow for a more personal,intimate feeling, between the audience and the characters. I think that this is an unjustified, and therefore unintelligent, decision. The occupation of a director is story teller, they can ornament and edit to add aesthetic beauty or even opinionated statements; but, it is never the position of the director to act as a character. The director is supposed to be the fourth wall, a communicator, a medium for art. Not an extra opinion.

Wes Anderson's overly personal camera techniques ruin all of his films for me.


I hate your work Wes Anderson


I hate it

1 comment: